Wednesday, May 16, 2007

A Few Thoughts Pre-Jersey

On Sunday, Jordan Gunther told Nate, "Know why New Yorkers are so grumpy? They keep telling themselves there's a light at the end of the tunnel, but the end of the tunnel is New Jersey."

Note: the Gunthers are moving to Utah after many years in New York. Neither one grew up there. Good luck guys!

Thomas has been telling people that we will be moving to a house and that next door lives his new friend, chicken noodle man. While this seems to be cheering him up immensely about the move, I've kinda got the willies.

On a sad note, I was explaining to Thomas that we will be moving and that means leaving our old friends behind, but we will be able to make new friends in our new place. Thomas said, "I know. I will have to find a new Desi." A new Desi! Fleeting friendships--if only we could move to another place and just pick up a new version of the people we love. I have to figure Thomas will find a new buddy that loves bashing and being bashed in the head as much as Mr. Desmond Jones, but then again maybe not.


Maybe this love affair will disappear with the sunset behind us as the moving truck pulls away (yes, yes people, I KNOW that New York is EAST of Princeton, just go with the imagery, however awkward...), or maybe Thomas and Des will meet up in a future life and not knowing their own history, rediscover and reinvent that meeting of the minds (and fists). Note to Thomas, I still keep in touch with my best friend from kindergarten, but once we stopped playing with My Little Ponies, we found it a little harder to keep the same intensity level.


And what am I going to do? How will I find a new Heather (and Heather!), a new Kendra, a new Iris, a new Melanie, a new Tasha, a new Laura, and Amy and Jessica and Sandra and... sorry, I'm hyperventilating. Paper bag. Breathe in, breathe out. Friends, if you know any doppelgangers in the Princeton area, let them know I'm coming.

Lest I be stuck with Chicken Noodle Man.

1 comment:

Kendra Leigh said...

oh, i'm sad you're leaving, too!