Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Contra-indicated

One thing I love about young kids is that they're comfortable with their own contradictions. As an adult, I feel compelled to put all my competing ideas and desires into a single logical framework and I usually get called out on it by Nate. Not to mention the serious disconnect between so much of what I say and what I actually do.

Thomas today told me that he "loves trying new foods". I asked him what "new foods" exactly has he tried.

"Cake. And chocolate pudding."

I happened to mention the fact that I fixed a very nice vegetarian burrito filling last night that he failed to even look at, let alone taste.

His answer: "That's a new food I don't like trying."

I don't know how you argue with that. Kinda like Bill O'Reilly's SNL caricature stating, "I think Space Mountain is the tallest mountain." The mind fuddles around all the ways that is...just...crazy.

My usual counterargument is tickles.

2 comments:

Dan said...

I wish that counter-argument worked on the House floor:

Random Congressman: "Mr. Speaker, I protest this war funding bill on the grounds that there is no money ear-marked for the Mid-Western dairy farm cow horn reclamation project."

Speaker: "Will the closest three Representatives please join me in the standard rebuttal? Thank you."

(Congressman is then tickled until he agrees to talk sense, or until bladder control is lost.)

M said...

How true! Man, there are so many problems you could solve that way! I'm only wary of adversaries big enough to tickle back...