Wednesday, November 05, 2008

New Day

Well, my guy didn't win, but I am always happily amazed every time we finish an election and see what a true democratic process shows the world.  Even in 2000, with all the drama in Florida, people calmly went about their business. There was no rioting in the streets, no threats of a revolution, no fear from either side that the eventual winner would route out his opponent's supporters. These things still happen all over the world, even in places where "elections" occur.

But not here. Today will be the same as yesterday. We fight with votes and we concede with grace. And we pray for our new president, Barack Obama, to do the right thing. 

I feel very blessed to be American. This is the greatest country in the history of the world and we ought to be grateful every day for the opportunity to be its citizens.

God Bless America, land that I love.

5 comments:

Denise said...

I feel grateful for this too. But I can't help but feel a little sad for the future. I am not sure we are on the right path...but I guess it just means we need to do more.

M said...

I'm worried, too. Obviously, I think that the wrong guy got elected and with Dem. majorities in both House and Senate, it means a number of laws could get enacted that I don't agree with and even think are dangerous for the country. But laws can be repealed and in just four years, we get to vote again, so I think you're right, we just need to stay involved and keep exercising our rights. Nice thing about this country: no government is forever. :)

vdg family said...

A-men. Prayer will become a must in the next four years. Isn't it always? :)

Anali said...

Obviously, I'm in the minority here, but I just wanted to say that I totally understand how you feel. But hey - we survived 8 years of George W. Bush. 4 years ago I didn't think we would make it.

In any case, I too am grateful to be an American, a place where even my dearest friends and family can disagree with me in a civil manner. :-)

Marci said...

Perhaps no rioting but near our house there were whoops of delight and dancing in the streets all night from happy Dems as the race started winding down. Rob and I went to bed and tried not to feel sick. I guess we'll see what happens from here on out. God bless America.