Monday, October 20, 2008

Does Charlie Kaufman Do Kids' Shows?


After a summer of seeing too much TV morphing our otherwise delightful child into a hyperactive head-spinning, glassy-eyed spazola, Nate and I decided on a new schedule for T. now that school is in session: he can watch TV, but only in the evening and only after he has cleaned up (this may not sound like much of a requirement, but in a single morning this kid can turn a perfectly tidy living room into that scene from Temple of Doom where Kate Capshaw wades through the room of bugs--just insert "Mom" in for Capshaw and "toys/food/food containers/clothes/wrappers/whatever/etc." in for the bugs).

So Thomas normally picks Noggin to watch, but one day, I switched the TV on for him and left the room (he knows how to switch the channels), only to come back a little while later to hysterical laughter. I mean, I know Dora can whip off a clever line or two in Espanol, but she's no Ellen Degeneres, so I had to wonder what he was watching. Turns out it was...wait for it....

America's Funniest Home Videos.

After recording Homicide: Life on the Street for me, the DVR had left it on WGN which apparently shows reruns of AFV after H:LS (who is their program director?). And Thomas--he must have felt he had inadvertantly stumbled onto the greatest comedic spectacle his young eyes had seen since his dad introduced to him the The Three Stooges (or "Stooches" as T. calls them).

I will admit, I am a TV and movie snob. With a few exceptions (I have a soft spot for old school sci-fi like ST:TNG) I like pretty much highbrow stuff and I'll turn off any show that dares even a single male groin injury, especially if perpetrated by balls and/or small children. So I've seen AFV maybe five times in my life and all at other people's houses. Thinking I'd somehow missed some hitherto unseen hilarity, I sat down and watched it with him for a minute.

Nope. Still the same cats falling off television sets and men getting hit in the groin by balls and/or small children. But Thomas was wiping tears of elation out of his eyes, when he could manage to pull himself back off the floor after a particularly gut-busting dog-chases-sock-runs-into-wall segment. 

A friend and I once joked about forbidding our kids from watching certain shows not because the content was too adult or something of that sort, but because they lacked sufficient artistic merit. "Thomas, turn that off! The characterization is embarrassingly shallow and the director is so self-conscious, the shots can't even maintain their sense of ironic detachment!" 

Har. But how much do you lax your standards for your kid's entertainment? For all the people who turn off Barney because of its cheerful brain-washing mindlessness, what exactly do they turn it to? Masterpiece Theatre? I liked Blue Clues when Steve Burns was on it, but once they replaced him with "Joe", the whole show fell out of its "day in a kid's life" motif to a bizarro mock-fantasy that defies its own inner logic. In other words, it sucks now. I still let Thomas watch it during his TV time if he wants to. Creative criticism seems particularly petty and silly when applied to kids' shows which aren't exactly trying to win over the Academy. 

But how low-brow is too low-brow? For a while, Thomas's favorite movie was The Master of Disguise, a Dana Carvey-vehicle that would be considered terrible even if we lived in an alternate universe where Pixar had never existed and the artistic pinnacle of children's entertainment had become Disney's straight-to-video bastardizations of its own franchises ("Snow White VII:Snow White Goes on Extreme Makeover"), but I let him watch it. In fact, I recorded it on our DVR and let him watch it more than once. He has most of it memorized. Ditto The 3 Ninjas.

Per T.'s request, I've started recording AFV so he can watch it during his TV time. In fact, he's watching it right now while I'm writing this and having what appear to be seizures, but are, yay, only full body laughter spasms. Meanwhile, Sethie is running around behind him, laughing whenever he laughs and scrutinizing the television, clearly trying to figure out, on a deeper level, why the paragon of wisdom, his older brother, finds this show so funny (just like how a seven-year-old me tried once to understand the apparently hidden aesthetic quality my older sister saw in Days of Our Lives. Sethie, my little mechanical observer, are you destined to grow up disillusioned?)

If this were a column in a newspaper, no doubt I'd be getting vilified in the comments section. There's a part of me that thinks I should be. But I just love the sound of T's uncontrollable giggling. If the source is harmless but, really, kinda stupid, does that mean I shouldn't let him watch it? 

I don't know. It's hard to concentrate over the sound of his happy hysteria. 

10 comments:

Anali said...

OMG, this post cracked me up! I understand how you feel - I have been submitted for hours on end of banal children's music consisting of a chorus of kids singing in unison to gawdawful, crack-inspired, repetitive tunes that just STICK IN MY MIND FOR DAYS ON END! [pant pant]

My nieces eat this stuff up. I guess on the plus side, though, they do create little dances and shows to the drivel, and can I really argue that it's any worse than the majority of popular music?

In any case, IMHO, I think that America's Funniest Home Videos is at least harmless. After all, these things do happen in real life. I crack up every time my cats do something stupid. And really, that type of humor is just MADE for a 5-year-old sensibility. Let him enjoy it while he can!

Marci said...

I don't have much to say about the program--my kids LOVE AFV, but I do have to say that I LOVE your writing. You truly have a gift and I always look forward to your posts!

M said...

A--I have to admit, I have pretty much banned children's music at my house. I can't stand it! Even worse than TV groin injuries. :) The kids are forced to listen to our iTunes collection.

I guess I'm ok with AFV. It does seem to be at his age-level, humor-wise, and he hasn't attempted anything he sees...yet. Just as long as he doesn't graduate to "Jackass"....

Marci--hey thanks! I didn't even know you read this. BTW, I tried to put your blog on my reader, but it says I need an invite. Can I have one? :)

Anonymous said...

Now that my kids are past the Noggin stage and I have a teenager to view things as well...I must admit some of the things that our almost 7 year old watches are a bit out of his league. Then again...when my boys watch sports on ESPN they are bombarded with "Male Enhancement" commercials at every break...try explaining that one to the 6 year old.

I am always asking my kids to explain to me the "redeeming value" of a show. We watch it once, together, and then determine if there is anything valuable. We nixed Sponge Bob (though I hear it can be funny) and Suite Life (those twin boys annoy me anyway) and allowed many others.

I had a friend who watched one episode of Arthur (personally I loved Arthur when the kids were younger) and it happened to be one where DW is whining and not being nice to her brother or parents...in the beginning of the episode...then she learns a lesson at the end. My friend watched the first 10 minutes...decided it was awful and never watched it again. This is why we watch the whole episode...sometimes 2 episodes before we determine its watch-ability. I love the arguments my kids will make for a show.

Take AFV (my kids love it) their arguments would be...it teaches us stuff to avoid mom, so we don't have those disasters at home...it teaches us new tricks to do with the dog...it brings us together as a family because we are so busy laughing at others, we can't possibly be teasing each other. AFV once did a montage of bike mishaps set to Queen's "I like to ride my bicycle"...we taped that one permanently cause it was so cool.

Glad you are letting Thomas have fun with it. Sethie will get warped quicker than Thomas...that is what happens to the younger child(ren).

Give the boys hugs and kisses from us!

M said...

Oh man, the commercials! Absolutely. This is why I love the DVR since we can fast forward through commercials, but Thomas still sees some and takes them very much to heart. He asked me awhile back if we could get 30-year fixed rate mortgage, even though he had no idea what it was and has tried to convince me to buy any number of cleaning products ("It has scrubbling bubble action, Mom!"). We have to say, "Thomas, did you see that on a commercial?"

T: "Yeah."

Us: "What did we tell you about commercials?"

T: "That they'll tell you anything, even if it's not really true, in order to get you to buy their stuff."

Us: "Right."

T: "But it has scrubbling bubbles action!"

Sleepless Tyrant said...

I thought "Being John Malkovich" WAS a kids show...? I mean, Buster loved it.

SERIOUSLY awesome post, Mara. I love your writing. I hear ya though. I cringe when my kids ask for Dora and I weep when they want The Doodlebops. As much as I carefully try to sneak Yo Gabba Gabba into their viewing schedule, I find they're not into it as much as I am. I've tried to get them into old shows that I dug growing up and some of it has taken hold - Pippi Longstockings, Popeye, and so forth... I'll have to grab the Three Stooges DVDs soon!

vdg family said...

This was hilarious! I could NOT stop laughing. I loved your addendum in the above reply. Scrubbing bubble action sounds like a really cool superhero action. Who could blame the little man?

M said...

Tyler--Srsly, Buster loved it, eh? Sethie found it engaging, but ultimately shallow. :)

And you guys are responsible for him yelling "Yo Gabba Gabba Gabba Gabba Gabba Gabba!" at the screen whenever that guy in the orange bandsuit comes on.

Mel--I think "Scrubbing Bubbles Action Guy" may have just superceded Keyboy!

Anonymous said...

Three cheers for Mara's writing style! You've got quite a following. :-) As for the silly TV shows, I feel the same way with L. and his love of Tom and Jerry. I don't understand why that slapstick is so entertaining, but it's fun to hear him laugh.

- Sara Walters

Marci said...

We actually moved our blog because none of our friends could access it...hmmm... anyway, you can now read the new and improved version at http://blog.stringham.name. No invite necessary! I would love to get your e-mail address as well. Mine is marci@stringham.name. Sad that I have to do all this over a blog post. I'm looking forward to posting about the most exciting wedding I've ever been to as well as the car accident that Rob and Jo were in today.