Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Alabama Baby

Nate and I are both the babies in our families--he's the last of eight and I'm the last of six, which means that we both have a few nieces and nephews who really aren't that much younger than we are. So I guess it shouldn't be much of a shock that these previously little kids have grown up, gotten married, and are now having babies of their own. Last month, Nate's niece Julia had her first baby, a little boy named William.

And this month marked the debut of my own grand nephew, Tristan. 

I was ten when my niece, Meg, was born. Since then I've seen her in a few fits and starts as my sister moved around the country (and the world) and it just seems like they kept replacing the model I knew with a bigger, older version. Toddler Meg--Pop!--kid Meg--Pop!--adolescent Meg--Pop!--teenage Meg--Pop!--grown up married Meg!

And then the most dramatic pop of all--Mommy Meg! 

I just can't get over it. I don't even feel that old.

Anyway, here's some baby pics. 


Here's Mr. Tristan in all his black-haired glory. Meg
actually looked just like this as a baby.

My niece Meg with Tristan. Aw! I can't believe
she's a mommy! Still weirds me out a little. But
she's doing a great job.

Meg's younger sister, Amber, with the baby. Amber did even
some more dramatic "popping" between visits. She literally
grew several feet. She's model-tall now and just as lovely.

My sister Alys with Tristan. I hope I look that good
when I'm a grandma.

Me giving Tristan a little smooch on the head. It's been 
two years since I had a smoochable baby! Toddlers are much
less likely to hold still when you want to kiss them.

No comments: