Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Puddle Jumping Goes Awry


For those of you suffering around the country (and world, I suppose) from unnatural heat waves, this has really been the summer to be on the east coast of the U.S. Most of our summer temps have been in the 70-90 F range, with only middling humidity. In fact, for the last several days it has been rainy and chilly outside. Today we topped out at a smoking 67 degrees. Right now the temp is about 62. We've gotten increasingly tired of being stuck in the house, so earlier this afternoon, I outfitted Thomas in his rain gear which, I am embarrassed to admit, consists only of waterproof boots and a jacket with a vinyl-like exterior that keeps the wearer dry for roughly ten minutes of outdoor rain action. We really ought to get him some actual raingear, but I only remember that when it's, you know, actually raining.

Of course, Thomas, being Thomas, doesn't do anything halfway, so when I told him he could go outside and "jump in puddles" he interpreted puddle as "any available body of water" and "jump" as a verb covering WWF moves.

I take some comfort in the fact that even if he had been outfitted in actual waterproof items, he still would have ended up soaked. Don't feel bad for him--he loves the cold (he's strangely insensitive to pain, too. Should I be worried?) and he still got to have a nice warm bath afterwards.

Here's the evidence:




4 comments:

Anali said...

I'm so jealous - 99% of the time, I love Phoenix weather. But this week, with 50% humidity and 110 degree temperatures, I'd love some rain and cool weather. Seriously. I can't stand it.

M said...

Yeah, I'm a "cool" weather person myself. I like overcast days and temps in the 70's. I don't think I could do Phoenix!

You know, my poor parents still don't have any air-conditioning. It's been 100+ there, too. My mom's been begging my dad to get it for however many years now and my dad just digs in his heels. This summer they've been spending a lot of time travelling, so I think they've managed to avoid some of the really terrible days, but one of these days, I'm afraid this heat is going to do them in!

Anali said...

Haha...some things never change!

I remember when my grandparents in Layton put in a window unit. That's still the only AC at their place.

In Phoenix, you might as well have a window unit in every room. Otherwise, it's pretty useless.

Not long now, though, until we have spectacular weather while you guys are freezing your butts off. I'll be gloating then, just you wait.

Eddie said...

awesome footage ... water, water, and more water ... bring it on!
Hot temps just blow.