Sunday, July 22, 2007

Harry Potter and the Humongous Hype

This is not a Harry Potter-bashing post. My copy of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, pre-ordered around Jan., came Saturday and I've already finished it, so count me among his fans. Still, as Marc Antony, via Shakespeare, once intoned, "I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him", even as his speech goes on to remind the Romans why Julius wasn't such a bad bloke after all. What kind of bloke is Harry? Why does the whole planet seem to care so very much?

Tolkien, like Rowlings, was also once vaulted into an instant spotlight, but even he had to have a specific movement and time--the drug-addled sixties--to explain his sudden popularity. Rowlings barely had time to blow her nose before her first novel started disappearing off bookstore shelves in droves. Potter also has Frodo beat on another score: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone has sold more copies alone than all three Lord of the Rings books combined, and Tolkien has been hanging around a lot longer than "the boy wizard". I know these stats won't exactly shock anyone--the Harry Potter Hype Machine has been in full bore since the first book rounded up kids and adults alike into one big cult of four-eyed magic mania--but can anyone explain them? Modern Library's list of 100 Greatest Novels isn't short for science fiction/fantasy writers--it has Tolkien, Robert Heinlein, even Ayn Rand--but J.K. Rowlings fails to make it. And that's not just the Board's list, that's the Reader's list, too. TIME Magazine's list is similarly Potter-less. So why are these tales of a scar-faced, wand-waving adolescent squashing all but a handful of religious tomes as the best-selling books of all time?

Greater minds than mine have attempted this question and it's probably better suited to some comparative lit's Ph.D. thesis, but I can't help but wonder. On the face of it, Rowlings' writing is solid, but hardly splashy and she slides a bit in the later books, probably because no editor dared touch them. She occasionally attempts to use a simile or metaphor when she's actually describing the real appearance of something--in this book she says the ground-up shards of a mirror were "like glittering dust". She overuses a pet plot device--having Harry overhear details crucial to his mission from unsuspecting antagonists--all too often, culminating in the near constant mindmeld Harry shares with Voldemort that endangers Harry only once, but ever afterwards gives him an easy, constant update on Mr. Name Unspoken's whereabouts and activities. She also can't resist the "all is revealed" moment, either, where characters get together to rehash in clunky exposition what's happened and how it all fits together, especially the cliched bad guy "monologue" ending--"Before I kill you, Harry, here's how I did everything prior to this point!"

But wordcraft is not enough to sustain a book--and its lack isn't enough to condemn one, either. The book I finished prior to picking up Harry Potter was a much more literary sci-fi called Life by Gwyneth Jones. Jones' writing slaps Rowlings sideways. It is beautiful, poised, provocative, and requires careful attention. Her characters are sharply and poignantly drawn. The plot is driven less by adventure than by, well, life as her title indicates and it has some uncomfortable and challenging things to say about gender in a modern world. Still, a few weeks out of it and it's mostly slipped my mind. Nate and I had a similar reaction to a movie called The Fountain which we saw because Nate is a big fan of director Darren Aronofsky. The Fountain also has a lot of very pretty packaging--it's a very visual arresting film. But we were strangely unmoved at the end, despite the fact that characters spend most of the film wracked with grief. "Bloodless" is how I described it to Nate and he agreed. We simply didn't care what happened to these people.

And on that score, I think Harry Potter gets a punch back in at its more literary counterparts. Even if many of Rowlings' peripheral characters are more caricature than real (the Dursleys in particular come to mind), Harry, Ron and Hermione, a classic heroic triumvirate, have enough personality for all of them. Through seven books, they've grown up and the magical wonder of the first book is appropriately mirrored in the grief of the seventh book as they (and we) see the things we found so amazing in childhood take on deeper and darker meaning when viewed from adulthood. Rowlings isn't afraid to let them fully experience adolescence, either, even in front of a backdrop--evil maniac torturing and killing his way to triumph--that seems too serious for explorations of young crushes, hormonal-induced depression, and--for Ron--suddenly discovering your childhood girl friend has breasts. In the final book, the three of them are finally of majority and they strike out on their own together, trying to do what they think is right without the reassuring guidance of better-informed adults. The thing they realize is that adults are not especially well-informed either. Every decision is wrought with peril, and often, regret. Courage has been described as not the absence of fear, but going forward despite fear. Rowlings proves that courage is really the going forward despite doubt. Because of these things, the characters endure, grow large in the mind of the reader. We want them to win. We wish we could help them--we read voraciously alongside them as if we could.

And what Rowlings might lack in wordcraft, she more than makes up for in storycraft. I read the first book several years ago and dismissed it as so much fantasy fluff. It wasn't until after the first two movies had come out that I decided to try them again and from there, I read books two through six in a few months' rush (rather dumbly, I didn't wait until all seven books were out, so I was forced into the position of waiting restlessly for its debut, after having rolled my eyes at all the hype and giddiness that accompanied earlier books to stores). Small nuggets in the first few books that had seemed out of place, or too easily come by grew with meaning in each following book. By the seventh book, a carefully laid heroic arc for Harry becomes shockingly clear, building on these little dropped hints across what now amounts to thousands of pages. It reminded me, not favorably, of some other fantasy series I have read where the writers start out clever and smashing in the first few books and then you realize by the third or fourth book that they shoved all their great ideas in early and are petering out now (Robert Jordan, anyone?). Rowlings seems to have infinite patience. Something laid without adequate explanation in the first book might not reappear until book six or seven and to find it again is like a treasure hunt, like discovering on Antique Roadshow that ugly old painting of grandma's is actually worth $30,000. How she managed to keep track of it all should be made required study by all writing students.

Some people have complained that her later books have too much filler surrounding the center action. Maybe so, but the Tolkien that everyone admires suffers the same complaint on re-inspection--clearly the man was more interested in the literary and historical aspects of his own novels than the driving plot (Frodo's destruction of the ring comes very early in the last book and comes off as anti-climatic. Tolkien really needed an editor like Peter Jackson). It's hard to blame Rowlings that she has grown to such mammoth proportions as a writer that editors are loath to harass too much change out of her (would you complain to your money cow that her milk is too creamy?) Tolkien's "filler" was a lot of droning place descriptions and non-sequitor singing. Rowlings maybe spends too much time worrying what Harry is thinking about in between the moments where he's actually doing something. She is invested in him. So apparently are millions of other people.

I'm pretty sad to see Harry go. The seventh book is the best of the series, invested with real emotion and a well-executed bang-out ending--if anyone was worried. It's been a little disappointing for me to emerge back into the real world, where the chance to participate in an epic battle against evil is pretty slim. Here's hoping that some bright young writer is just waiting in the wings to emerge as the next grand storyteller and give us all a reason to stay home on Saturday nights, curled up with a good book.

Sidebar: While reading Harry, I was thinking of the idea of being the protagonist in my own story--how absorbed I am in my own concerns and how narcissistically my own world seems to revolve around those concerns, as if other people are the bit players in my drama. In Harry's world, several characters make the ultimate sacrifice and their deaths get varying levels of attention, but hey, this is Harry's story and Harry triumphs, so it's all for the best, right? I'd be interested in hearing what people think about being the bit player--would you be okay with being a footnote on the way to glory, fighting your tiny square of the fight, if a Harry Potter-like hero needed your minuscule help to accomplish his/her goal? I'm not talking about soldiers in an army, necessarily, but ordinary people who hear the news, decide for themselves what they think they ought to do, and suffer the consequences of those actions, maybe without much acknowledgement either. What do you think?

10 comments:

Anali said...

I completely agree with you on Rowling's wordsmithing - sometimes I get really frustrated while reading by some over-used plot device and the lack of a bold editor. I was really pissed at the bloated book 5, which remains my least favorite of the series, and relieved that she'd seemed to pull it together again by book 6.

I loved book 7, and fully intend to spend the next week re-reading sections I probably sped through too quickly in my absolute NEED to find out what happens next. And really, if a book so engrosses me that I stay up all night reading, poor wordsmith or not, Rowling has what it takes to write a gripping story. There are plenty of books, series, and authors that I love, but not nearly as many that keep me from sleep, so that I just can't put the book down at the end of a chapter.

As far as your discussion question, I'd have to say it depends on the hero. If I were a supporting character in Harry Potter, and considering the affection I feel for many of them, I'd be happy to have been one of the casualties that led to Harry's success. If the hero were someone like, say, Thomas Covenant from Stephen R. Donaldson's series, then not so much. He's a jerk, and I would have always wondered if I died because he's a jerk.

M said...

You know, I never read the Thomas Covenant books, mostly because so many people warned me away from them, but I think it's interesting that your willingness to go to bat for somebody has less to do with their cause than who they are personally. I honestly don't know how I feel about it. I would like to think that if there was a real showdown between good guys and bad guys that I would dive right into the fray, consequences be damned, but I guess that's the difficulty with life rather than stories, in that the good guys and the bad guys are seldom so clear. I mean, if Satan showed up and challenged some guy to the ultimate battle, waffling about who to help would seem pretty pointless--and so many novel villains get clearly marked as such: guy living as a giant flaming eye in a desolate wasteland filled with citizens prone to constant fighting: probably not somebody you think should be running your own country, regardless of how else you think the geopolitical landscape out be fashioned. In the Potter books, Voldemort stays wisely hidden and simply infiltrates the current ruling political body which then spreads misinformation about Harry and his friends. Otherwise, who would get behind snake-face guy with a name like Voldemort? What if Harry's name was Voldemort and vice versa? What if Harry looked like the snake and there were posters of him stating "Undesirable Number 1"? Sometimes I wonder if I would simply second-guess myself into inaction and find myself empty-handed at the end, still alive, but unheroic as ever.

Alys said...

I read the Thomas Covenant series, back in high school I believe. His antics probably bothered me much more then, than they would now. I had much less book and life experience. I sometimes go back and read books that profoundly affected me and wonder what the hoopla was about. And then there are the gems that still have the ability to wring that same emotion time after time. Thomas Covenant was a whiner which I think is much worse than being a jerk. Having said that Stephen R. Donaldson had the wordsmithing skills to keep me reading all three books even though his main character was much despised. His other series which began with The Mirror of Her Dreams and concluded with A Man Rides Through was much better. Mostly because the heroine, while not perfect, manages to tackle her probelms without Covenant's constant bemoaning of his problem and his frickin apathy. Haven't tacked Harry's last adventure yet. I can hardly wait!

Anali said...

I actually never read any further than the Lord Foul's Bane, because I was so disgusted by Thomas Covenant as the hero.

In Scalzi's Old Man's War, a military sci fi novel, there's a bit about testing our assumptions of good and evil based on appearance. They describe an alien that's just hideous, but in actuality is one of a pacifist race that are willing to ally with humans, and another alien that looks as if it's gentle, kind, and and wise, who, of course, are actually bloodthirsty cannibals. An extreme case, to be sure, but still an accurate description on how so much of our assumptions are based on appearance.

As far as I've seen, it seems common that people are more willing to get behind a good leader, rather than just a cause. Not that one doesn't feel the cause is just and good, but often it takes the leader to inspire the devotion - especially enough to give one's life.

To follow your comparison - would people have been willing to die for the cause of Christianity without Jesus as the leader? It was because the apostles believed in HIM that they followed, not necessarily because of his teachings.

M said...

>His other series which began with
>The Mirror of Her Dreams and
>concluded with A Man Rides
>Through was much better. Mostly
>because the heroine, while not
>perfect, manages to tackle her
>probelms without Covenant's
>constant bemoaning of his problem
>and his frickin apathy.
>
I think I may have read the Mirror of her dreams a long time ago. Chick fromt the future gets stuck in medieval times? Fixes water problems? Yes? Maybe I'll have to find it again. Don't think I read the follow-up books, though.

>As far as I've seen, it seems
>common that people are more
>willing to get behind a good
>leader, rather than just a cause.
>
I would definitely agree that a charismatic leader is essential for getting large groups of people behind a particular cause, though Jesus is perhaps an irregular case since as a leader, he is inextricably linked with his cause: hence the name Christianity. Believing in him and believing in his teachings amount to the same thing, really, as opposed to say Martin Luther King and civil rights or even Stalin and communism. It makes me wonder, then, what Harry Potter really is. Charismatic leader, not so much. If anything, he's really the symbol of a particular cause: keeping Voldemort from ruling the world. And he himself doesn't seem to really inspire people so much as what he represents: someone Voldemort failed to kill, representing weakness in the enemy. How does their courage in fighting without a powerful leader stack up against someone who joins a cause because of its hero?

Jennifer said...

This is a thought provoking question. I immediately agreed with Anali that I would most likely follow a cause because of the character of its leader than perhaps for the cause itself. Throughout history the famous revolutionaries have (or so we're told) been very charismatic and inspiring. Harry Potter is quite the opposite. Indeed, he even tries throughout the series to reject the idea of heroism placed upon him by his peers. "It's all a coincidence." He keeps telling them over and over. I think in Harry's case, people were desperate to grasp at any thread that might liberate them from their fear of Voldemort. Even if that thread was a skinny, nearsighted boy with a funny scar. Eventually, Harry finally took it upon himself to believe he played a bigger part in the puzzle, but in the beginning he simply had to ride the wave of overwhelming pressure and expectations of "the boy who lived." I suppose in the end, he did turn into the leader they all wanted him to be, but I'm not convinced I would have jumped on the bandwagon of a reluctant hero if it were my life on the line.

M said...

Hey Jennifer! Welcome to the discussion. You know, I think Anali really hit on the key difference between fighting FOR a cause, which seems to require a charismatic--or at least convincing--leader and fighting AGAINST an evil, which might not require a clear leader, only individual conscience. I'm hard-pressed to think of any causes in history that could function without a champion. Even Judeo-Christian and Muslim religious histories have God selecting a prophet to convey His message to His people. If it's not too glib a comparison, the fight against Voldemort--which Jennifer pointed out functioned often in spite of Harry for the first while--might be more akin to the quiet actions of some heroic citizens during the holocaust, who witnessed what was happened to the Jews and offered to hide or transport them despite the risk to themselves. I know at least for myself, sometimes what the right thing to do is less clear than what the wrong thing is. My guess is that American revolutionaries needed less convincing by someone in charge that getting out of British rule was a good idea than they did in setting up their own government in a democratic fashion (enter General Washington et. al). So maybe real causes--revolutions of a political, economic, social, etc. nature--need a leader, but resistance just needs a sharply defined conscience?

Dan said...

Your question about "bit characters" is thought-provoking, and the answers underline some of the reasons that Rowling's books have had such great impact. The question takes two parts in my mind: first, what is so compelling about Harry, his journey and the story as a whole, and second, how does that compelling nature affect the characters around Harry?

I started the series with a less-than-high opinion of the author herself. The world in which the characters moved was not compelling to me, and the plot devices used seemed heavy-handed. As I continued to read (sub-vocalizing the occasional, "Why?), I found myself drawn to Harry, to Hermoine, to Snape and Draco and to Voldemort himself.

Above all else, Rowling seems to really understand people; what moves them, reluctantly or relentlessly, to the inevitable cross-roads that strip away the self-made illusions and prove that her characters, like our own, are defined by the choices they make.

Her stories do not explain each characters' choices by an appeal to the past, but rather view the character as linked to the past by a series of decisions that culminate only when, at the final moment, no decisions remain to be made. This is responsibility rather than apologetics. (This remains true, I think, even in light Harry's final use of the Penseive.)

Turning for a moment from the characters themselves to the nature of the decisions they make, I notice that the significant choices (perhaps all?) are those that reveal (or define) the relationship between each character and the pro/ant-agonist. This is not news, of course, but is a hallmark of good story-telling.

Where this becomes interesting (to me, at least), is at the point that each character realizes that this is not a Coke/Pepsi choice, but a life and death choice. This is war, in all its glory and horror, and Rowling's understanding of people once again comes through.

Harry himself does not begin by understanding that this is a war. At most, it seems like another case of being bullied by circumstances beyond his control and that he'd best just get on with it. As the books and years go by, the fight becomes increasingly personal, until in the end, we learn exactly how intimate the battle is. It is this personal immediacy, this individual attention that I found so compelling.

Those around Harry and Tom Riddle are also drawn in, to one pole or another. This is no faceless struggle, personalized only by those in the trenches. Wilfred Owen's Strange Meeting would never happen here because each interaction involved at least one person who made a choice to act: to threaten, to sacrifice, to compel, or to belive.

Here then, is the domain of those who are "footnote[s] on the road to glory". No vast, machinating nations hungry for mindless obedience, no deep bureaucratic maneuverings. Only direct contact between you and the consequences of your choices. This is what drives both heroes and villains, central or insignificant, to give their all.

For each character, this means something different. For some (such as Moody or Lucius Malfoy) it is the cause or the ideal. For others (like Hagrid or Bellatrix) it is the nature of the person they love. For all characters, though, it seems clear that they did not perceive their actions as "bit-parts" or footnotes, but as expressions of who and what they are. Each decision might have very little effect on the story or the main characters, but is of paramount importance to the individual. What matters most, as always, is the choice.

So, would I be content to fight in an unknown role, or against a minor foe? Only if I manage to find my own reason, to make my own choice. If so, then I can tell my own story and a once tiny role becomes the most important; not out of arrogance or selfishness, but out of the necessity of living the life I want to live.

Therein, I think, lies real magic.

n8 said...

Re: bit characters and being a protagonist in one's own story, I can't help but think of Ender and his jeesh (friends, cohorts, what have you).
I think that the leader-follower group dynamics portrayed in Ender's Game are quite close to what we encounter every day:

1) The characters aren't there because they abandoned their regular lives for a fantastical quest. Rather, they are there because they were selected and trained to do a job that needed to be done. Just like most of the experiences we have with job, church, school, whatever.

2) While the leader (Ender) is important, he is also incidental; the mission would go on even if he wasn't there. Moreover, he doesn't lead because he was predestined - he leads (is put in a leadership position) because people follow him. For example, having a good boss can be extremely rewarding, and can motivate you to work well above reasonable expectations, even if the end goal of your work is not so noble as Harry's quest for the [spoiler alert!] magic golden turtle/chalice/stone (full disclosure - I have read none of the Harry Potter books. None).

But most of all, Card has done an excellent job with his Shadow series - the stories of some of Ender's jeesh (particularly Bean). He ably demonstrates that there are no bit players - each of us has our own story in which we are the star. Sounds kinda corny, maybe, but ultimately more accurate, at least in my opinion.

Pardon the incomplete thought, but I am almost home (wonder if wifey is still awake?), and I am getting blackberry thumb cramps.

M said...

I love these posts--a variation, I think, of the axiom, "There are no small roles, just small actors." They negate the question entirely and free bit players to be people, not just cogs in a great machine. I love the idea of a hero's story happening in the midst of an even larger heroes story where the protagonist chooses to act for their ideals and the consequence of their act is enable an even greater turn of events. It's a story worth developing! You've also helped me lay to rest some lingering doubts about the nature of sacrifice, I think. Cool stuff.