Saturday, July 07, 2007

A Candle (or five) for a Man


As I mentioned earlier, my sister Alyssa is here with us until Sunday. Roughly three years ago Alys was visiting me when we were first living in New York. We headed down to 5th Avenue south of Central Park to see the notorious stores: Saks Fifth Avenue, Tiffany's, Bergdorf Goodman, etc. Right across the street from Saks is the very famous St. Patrick's Cathedral which Wikipedia lists as the "largest decorated Neo-Gothic-style Catholic cathedral in North America". It's an absolutely stunning church, and has millions of visitors a year. Inside there are stations for various saints where a petitioner can pay a dollar and light a candle. Those three years ago, Alys, who was having fairly dismal luck on the dating scene (One of her dates refused a piece of gum she offered because, as he put it, "Ah, I'd just swaller it."), lit a candle to St. Andrew, the patron saint of Scotland, and put out her hopes for a decent man to come along.

Well, maybe because we're Mormons and not Catholics (in which case, our actions yesterday may not have helped much), or maybe St. Andrew has a sense of humor, but about six months later my sister met a certain Scottish-descended laddie with whom she began a long and pretty ineffectual romance. Fed-up with the whole thing, she told me before she came out that she had just one wish: that we could return to St. Patrick's and light a different candle to a different saint in the hopes that maybe someone else could get the job done a little better.

I made a video diary of our quest, but unfortunately, the audio appears to be screwed up on a few of the files. I am working on the problem and as soon as I can post all of them, I will. Until then, here are the working ones:













In the end, we spent six dollars (St. Jude, the patron saint of lost causes got two dollars) and lit five candles. Slease, I hope you get good one this time. :)

No comments: