Saturday, September 29, 2007

Ode to Nate, on This Day, the Day of His Birth

(Apologies to the writers of Star Trek: The Next Generation and of the episode "Schisms" in particular)

Nathan Poulsen is your familial nomenclature
Born to pursuers intellectual, scholarly by nature
Your studies physical, cor-por-ate, and chemical
Have confirmed to you some sulfamides are non-symmetrical

I find myself intrigued by your instant dormant status
When I scratch just right the spot of your muscle infraspinatus
And how you like to press the couch with your latissimi dorsi
to study anthropology ("Cops") and drink an eight-ounce pepsi

On unsuspecting females you have honed romantic talent
But your help with our consanguines small proves you to be gallant
And though I think they love me with their effervescent glee
On weekends they prefer a manly, congeneric knee

Oh Nate, I know that you are erudite, solicitous, and staid
yet the grecian inking on your forearm shows contumaciousness in spades
And though you must be gone a lot to New York up above
I nonetheless consider you my true and only love

4 comments:

Alys said...

This is great! Happy B-day Mr. Nate. My sis is very lucky to have such a great guy to call her own Thanks for being part of the Bargie family. See you guys in a week! Woohoo!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Nate! My kids wanted to take a visit to see you for your special day. Hard to explain the expense and other complications of getting from CO to NJ in time. We sure do love you (and your family)!

I was just remembering that I met you for the first time 16 years ago in August - can you believe that?? You were such a cute YOUNG boy and now you are a handsome not-so-young man. Just remember that if you are feeling old - compare yourself to the ages of your big brothers and you will feel instantly young.

Hope you had a happy day - don't work too hard and have fun with the boys and Mara.

Love ya

Kristi

Dan said...

That . . . has GOT to be . . . the coolest thing I have read all year.

Happy Birthday Nate! We think about you and your family often, and wish that we were closer by.

All the best. You deserve it!

Dan

Anali said...

Happy Birthday n8! I'm belated, but no less sincere for it!

What an ode!